dailyadvocate.com

Child starts accidental fire in second story apartment

Staff report

March 26, 2014

GREENVILLE - Staci Kohn was home with her two children, ages 2 and 5, Wednesday afternoon when her daughter alerted her to a fire in the bedroom. Kohn attempted to put the fire out, but was unsuccessful, and removed her children and herself from the second story apartment at 400 Gray Ave. in Greenville.


“We smoke in our house, but not around our kids,” the emotional mother explained. “There was a lighter on the bed, and I was in the kitchen. My daughter came into the kitchen, screaming, saying the bed was on fire. I tried putting it out with a pitcher of water, but it was too late.”


Greenville Fire Department’s Assistant Chief McDermit advised that the structure fire was under control, and crews were working to extinguish the fire.