Just when you think you’re getting used to the idea that you’re going to be working with new people because of some recent retirement announcements, another news flash takes place.
Kathy Dapore informed me right before I went on vacation two weeks ago that she, too, is closing her business, Kathy’s Styling Center in Ansonia.
She and my mother have basically been the only ones who have cut my hair. Both of them know how I like my hair cut and now I’m going to have to look elsewhere as Mom is no longer able to do it either.
Kathy will be closing the doors on her salon on June 30, but indicated she will be seeing customers up until that time. A stylist for 40 years, she opened it in 1978; thus has 34 years there.
“I thank all of those who supported me,” she said. “But, it’s time. I had wonderful clientele and it is a wonderful place to work in Ansonia. I’ll miss the people so much. They’re like extended family. A lot of them have been coming to me 25 years-plus.”
If only I had the talent Mom and Kathy have for cutting hair, I could perhaps work on my own naturally curly mess.
I’m thankful for Mom and Kathy for all they’ve done for me. But, now it’s time for a change. Maybe I’ll color my hair with those colorful streaks (red. green, purple or orange…what the heck!), and maybe add some extensions. Or not.
Anyway…Kathy, good luck in your future endeavors.
• The benefit for Becky York of Glen Karn, who has Stage 4 Cancer, is set for June 30 at 7 p.m. at the Ansonia American Legion. It is being put on by her co-workers at Cal-Maine, family and friends. Call Norma Garland at 423-2559 if there are any questions.
• June 25 to Dick Hufford, Alan Gessler, Seth Gessler, Katie Brown, Tommy Lee Lunsford, Mary Kreitzer, twins Marion and Marvin Johnson, Keegan Weiss, Paul Fleenor (85), Carrie Waymire DeHart and Walter Neal.
• June 26 to Nancy McKnight, Ron Widener, Heather Mann, Ron Thwaits, Damien Deaton (16) and Ruth Strait.
• June 27 to Annola Allread, Malinda Schmidt Linebaugh, Lori Linebaugh, Galen Wetzel, Cheryl Sanders and Sherry Hunt.
• June 28 to Becky Blackburn Klipstine, Tyler Stump, twins Jann Peace (55) and Jill Newman (55), Tracy Thwaits, twins Kimberly Bennett Marker and Kelly Bennett Kelch, Joe Miller Sr., Scott Amspaugh and Larry Brown.
• June 29 to Jackie Coblentz Brown (60), Laurie Doyle Erwin, Larry Peters (70), Delphus Pease, Samantha Shook, Mildred Campbell, Doris Harnish (75), Brian Magoto, Carol Hathaway and Don Hathaway.
• June 30 to Arlene Bankson, Polly Walls Eley, Shelly Lynn Siders Geyer, Robin Bousman, Iris Prasuhn, Joni Burelison, Dan Brown, Tara Rutschilling, Barry Rodeheffer and Joshua Deeter.
• July 1 to Steve Waymire, Phyllis Harbison, Don Walters, Sarah Printz, Wesley Francks and Scott Wendell.
• July 2 to Ruth Ann Lorton Riffle, Jeff Schlechty, Mark Mayo, Tim Weaver and Lynn Keller.
Happy belated birthday to: Kenny Bowman on June 17; Ted Adkins, Jacki Stonebraker, Harold Marker and Commissioner Mike Rhoades, all on June 18; and John Crossley, Teresa Batten and Dane Leeper, all on June 21.
Happy anniversary: Today to Dick and Rowena Stump (50), Jim and Karen Gilbert, Dick and Judy Grim and Kim and Marilyn Peterson; June 26 to Gary and Katie Cothran, Dave and Kathy Acton and Nola and Paul Coning; June 28 to Fred and Missy Daiken (15); June 29 to Penny (Cox) and Dale Shimomura, Bob and Lisa Mayo and Leo and Pam Kramer; June 30 to Buddy and Ruth Ann Riffell, Frank and Anna Lee Dawson and Terry and Barb Hess; July 1 to Michelle (Brumbaugh) and Bob Jones, Ivan and Sheila Christian, Brian and Kelly Dapore, Doug and Sherry Hesson and Gene and Sharon Schlechty; and July 2 to Rick and Kay Jones (45).
Happy belated anniversary to: George and Sandra Green (50) on June 16; and Tom and Sherlin Butts (13 years) and Shawn and Creedie McGuire (3 years), all on June 19.
Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers: Mac Goodpaster, Mary Thacker, Alberta Aukerman, Rick Jones of Ansonia, Curtis Miller, Gene Yohey, Tom and Marilyn Smith, Susan North, Bob Jones of Ansonia, Chuck Davis, Cindi Aukerman, Rick Clear, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Clinton Randall, Jane Dynes, Rylee Blanken, Don Denniston, Becky York, David “Red” Kremer, Steve Greer, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Goethe Rhodeheffer, Tom Brumbaugh, Mike Custer, Maxine Didier, Karen Meier, Barbara Martin, Dana Holzapfel, Gayle Rismiller, Kara Didier, Mike Rammel, Ed Widener, Nick Voisard, Kathy Swabb, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Jared Marker of Fremont, Linda Manos, Tod Fink, Dorothy Rismiller, Gertie VanDePitte, Bea and Lee Moody, Judy Henry, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Tom Henry, Tater McCollum, Jim Moody, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Amber Kiser, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Vickie Martin, Mary Hannan, Kathy Black, Jeremy Litten, Mike Walter, Kathy Walter, Deanna Jones, Betty Grimes, Greg Eubank, Alice Broering, Peter King, Ralph and Sandy Henning, Terry Black Sr., Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Gene Sharp, Shannon Peters Hall, Holli Anderson, JoAnne Foreman, Lester Ward, Stephanie Klingshirn, Karen Newbauer, Harold McKnight, Greg St. Myers, Paul Hodson, Kenny Blackburn, Rusty Edwards, Zane Wetzel, Sherry Prasuhn, Dick Foureman, Leann Ressler, Rick Gump, Roger Harbison, Steve Sewell, Mamie Warrick, Pauline Powell, Meta Sue Livingston, Eddie Rhoades, Gertie Hampshire, Jack Wyatt, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Don Hittle, Steve Holden, Judy Henderson Barga, Stacy Mortensen, Jeff Schricker, D.J. Miller, Bill Schuette and all of our military people.
Think about it: The most lost day of all is the day we do not laugh.
Jamie and i send out our condolences to the families of Charles Steed, Larry Alexander, Kurt Weeks Sr., Marjorie Stuart, Bill Randall, Bill Wilson, Dwight David Idle, Emily (Stewart) Messer, Infant Kamara Leann Smith, Barbara Louise Ricker, Mary Louise Grenier and Kenneth S. Fowble.
Linda Moody is features editor for the Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.