I am so thankful for air conditioning, and more than that, I’m even more grateful that I don’t have to work outdoors all of the time.
I don’t know how people can do without it, especially with the recent scorching temperatures.
Sure, I went out to the Fourth of July activities, to the Steam Threshers’ grounds as well as the Farm Power of the Past these past few weeks, but those were for assignments. I only stayed around for the main things I would be covering and then either went back to work or home where I could be comfortable in the air conditioning.
We’re probably being compensated for the mild winter we had, I just know it. But, I was ever so thankful for that, too, and just hoping that we won’t be facing a horrible winter coming up.
My sympathy goes out to those who were without power for any long period of time.
It sure would be nice if Mother Nature straightened us out with the weather conditions, and to keep everyone safe no matter what she has to offer us.
I’m hoping everyone out there stays cool and hydrated and enjoys the rest of your summer.
• Next VFW breakfast at Ansonia American Legion is July 14 from 6 a.m. to noon. Served will be all-you-can-eat pancakes, French toast, eggs and sausage as well as a drink. Cost is $7 for those ages 12 and older and $3.50 for those ages 6 to 12.
• July 10 to Jack Baker, Roger McEowen, James Jenkins, Phil Hathaway (70), Doris Curtis and Hazel Nickol.
• July 11 to Vickie Riffle Henderson, Diane Christian, Kierra Reichert, Keelan Highley, Mike Best, Levi Best (5), Stan Stebbins, Chuck Ditty (60) and Mason Perez (18).
• July 12 to Tom Pierron (60), Kerry Barber, Bonnie Tryon, Jackie Ann Moody Sanders, Jan Patterson, Lori Hahn Smith, Bill Cooper, Basil Subler, Heather Anthony, Kelly Dapore (35), Amy Whittington and Percy Grilliot.
• July 13 to Grant Spitler (25), Larry Walters, Gene Yohey, Gage Daniels, Chloe Heck (5), David Grubb (90), Eric Fee (40), Stephanie Adkins (35) and Kathy Gasson.
• July 14 to Lois VanScoyk Gibboney, Ronnie Hartrum, Eugene Hoening Jr., Kathy Zacharias Leeper, Tom Fox, Mary Barga of North Star, Rob Curtis II, Eric Newman, the Rev. Gary Oser (60), Kathy Beam, Phyllis Collins and Barb Warvel,
• July 15 to Anna Mae Christian, Jeff Miller of Bradford, Steve Baker (Channel 7), Tonda Wentworth, Teresa Clymer Fleckenstein, John Middleton Sr., John Baker, Elaine Amspaugh, Carla Smith Bubp, Dennis Leeper, Roger McEldowney, Dan Esser, Paul Klingshirn, Anne McEldowney, Annabelle Stamper and Carolyn Dickey.
• July 16 to Mike Hammontree, Jamie Best (35), Zachary Bartram and Stella Guthrie.
Happy belated birthday to: Bruce Siders (19), July 2.
Happy anniversary: July 10 to Harold and June Alley; July 12 to Don and Marjorie Darding (60 years); July 14 to Chris and Kim Barnhardt (5); and July 15 to Elmer and Karen Long (45) and Joel and Karen Avore.
Happy belated anniversary to: Marion and Karron Hoksins (50) and Norman and Judy Warner (50), all on July 7.
Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers: Mac Goodpaster, Mary Thacker, Alberta Aukerman, Rick Jones of Ansonia, Curtis Miller, Gene Yohey, Tom and Marilyn Smith, Bob Jones of Ansonia, Chuck Davis, Cindi Aukerman, Rick Clear, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Clinton Randall, Jane Dynes, Rylee Blanken, Don Denniston, Becky York, David “Red” Kremer, Steve Greer, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Goethe Rhodeheffer, Tom Brumbaugh, Mike Custer, Maxine Didier, Karen Meier, Barbara Martin, Dana Holzapfel, Gayle Rismiller, Kara Didier, Mike Rammel, Ed Widener, Nick Voisard, Kathy Swabb, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Jared Marker of Fremont, Linda Manos, Tod Fink, Dorothy Rismiller, Gertie VanDePitte, Bea and Lee Moody, Judy Henry, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Tom Henry, Tater McCollum, Jim Moody, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Amber Kiser, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Vickie Martin, Kathy Black, Jeremy Litten, Mike Walter, Kathy Walter, Deanna Jones, Betty Grimes, Greg Eubank, Alice Broering, Peter King, Ralph and Sandy Henning, Terry Black Sr., Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Gene Sharp, Shannon Peters Hall, Holli Anderson, JoAnne Foreman, Lester Ward, Stephanie Klingshirn, Karen Newbauer, Harold McKnight, Greg St. Myers, Paul Hodson, Kenny Blackburn, Rusty Edwards, Zane Wetzel, Sherry Prasuhn, Dick Foureman, Leann Ressler, Rick Gump, Roger Harbison, Steve Sewell, Mamie Warrick, Pauline Powell, Meta Sue Livingston, Eddie Rhoades, Gertie Hampshire, Jack Wyatt, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Don Hittle, Steve Holden, Judy Henderson Barga, Stacy Mortensen, Jeff Schricker, D.J. Miller, Bill Schuette and all of our military people.
Jamie and I send out our condolences to the families of Susan North, Phillip North, John Forsythe Jr., Veda Kelly, Esta Fletcher Hathaway, Geary Fraley and Penny Luce.
Think about it: The best kind of friend is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you ever had.
Linda Moody is features editor for the Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com.