< Full site
Carbon Monoxide safety tips
11/5/2012 2:04:00 PM
By Press Release
Often called “the silent killer,” Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and poisonous gas created when fuels such as wood, fuel oil, natural gas, gasoline, kerosene, propane, and coal burn incompletely. According to the National Safety Council, 300 deaths a year are due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The dangers of carbon monoxide exposure depend on a number of variables, including the victim’s health and activity level. Infants, pregnant women, and people with physical conditions that limit their body’s ability to use oxygen (i.e. asthma, heart disease, and emphysema) can be more severely affected by lower concentrations of carbon monoxide than healthy adults would be. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in the body over time, causing symptoms such as headache, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue.
The symptoms are sometimes confused with the flu or food poisoning. In cases of extreme exposure, the victim’s cheeks may appear “cherry-red”; prolonged exposure can be fatal. A person can be poisoned by a small amount of carbon monoxide over a longer period of time or by a large amount of carbon monoxide over a shorter period of time.
In an effort to avoid possible carbon monoxide related incidents in our community, the Greenville Fire Department offers the following safety tips:
Install a carbon monoxide detector.
Never use portable generators indoor or near windows.
Make sure appliances are properly adjusted and working to manufacturers’ instructions and local building codes.
Obtain annual inspections for heating system, chimneys, and flues and have them cleaned by a qualified technician.
Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
Do not use ovens and gas ranges to heat your home.
Do not burn charcoal inside a home, cabin, recreational vehicle, or camper.
Make sure stoves and heaters are vented to the outside and that exhaust systems do not leak.
Do not use unvented gas or kerosene space heaters in enclosed spaces.
Never leave a car or lawn mower engine running in a shed or garage, or in any enclosed space.
Make sure your furnace has an adequate intake of outside air.
Don’t ignore your carbon monoxide detector if it goes off.
Don’t ignore symptoms, especially if more than one person is feeling them.
Get fresh air immediately.
Call 911 if you have symptoms.
If you go to an emergency room, be sure to tell the physician that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
Have a qualified technician inspect your fuel-burning appliances and chimneys to make sure they are operating correctly.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors are just as important as the proper use and maintenance of your fuel-burning appliances. Carbon monoxide detectors should meet Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) standards, have a long-term warranty, and be easily self-tested and reset to ensure proper functioning. For maximum effectiveness during sleeping hours, carbon monoxide detectors should be placed close to sleeping areas. A plug in carbon monoxide detector with battery back-up, is best. Check your batteries monthly and replace as needed.
Changes in outdoor warning sirens
Council approves of initiative for new school
Advocate Online Home
< Full site
Copyright © The Daily Advocate. All rights reserved.
A Civitas Media, LLC Publication
, All Rights Reserved