More than I care to admit it, winter is just around the corner. We’ve already seen two snowfalls, neither of which was that serious, but yet occurred as of this writing.
Greenville resident, 81-year-old Esther Heltzel of Greenville sent me a poem she found in a magazine from an author unknown to share with you readers, as follows:
It’s winter, Ohio!
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
at twenty-five below,
Oh, how I love Ohio.
When the snow’s up to your butt,
You take a breath of winter,
And your nose gets frozen shut.
Yes, the weather here is wonderful,
So I guess I’ll hang around.
I could never leave Ohio
Cause I’m frozen to the ground.
Thanks for sharing, Esther.
• The next fish fry hosted by Ansonia American Legion will be Dec. 7 from 4 to 7 p.m.
• Santa Claus will be coming to the Ansonia American Legion when the Ansonia Community Celebration committee will be hosting a breakfast with the jolly fellow on Dec. 1 from 9 to 11 a.m. He will arrive at 9:30 a.m. Pancakes, sausage, eggs, juice or coffee will be served, and everyone is welcome.
• Nov. 27 to Sydnee Townsend (16), Mindy Moody Ward, Mike Appleman II and Linda Holden.
• Nov. 28 to Dan Schipfer (70), Joyce Baker, Jadilyn Snyder (15) and Don Livingston.
• Nov. 29 to Jeff Shook, Jeff Lawson, Gene McMahan, Natalie Pepple Burns, Phil Stutz, Rosemary Grisez, Ruth Hoggatt (92) and Jason Schmidt.
• Nov. 30 to Bill Klipstine, Janese Riegle Spencer, Linda Lore, Joyce A. Grillot, Dewey Ward (60), Mindy Steed, Bob Curtis, Joann Emrick, Caleb Thwaits (20), Kathy Wilker, Tess Osborne, Mike Huelskamp and Joe Payne.
• Dec. 1 to Tammy Shook, Kim Stover Dohme, Karen Beam, Neil Schmidt, Brian Bidwell and Karen Crowell.
• Dec. 2 to Noe Hernandez, Bev Billenstein Stump (60), Jeremy “Fat Boy” Litten, Jacob MacNutt (3) and Kristy Earick.
• Dec. 3 to Evelyn Sebring (60), Pat McMaken (60), David Linebaugh (25), Mark Berger (50), Jake Draper, Norma Sanchez and LeighAnn Miller.
Happy belated birthday to Jerry Barber (54) on Nov. 23; and Stacy Gilpin (24) on Nov. 24.
Happy anniversary Nov. 27 to Ed and Kay Curry, John and Joy Marchal, Pete and Joyce Grillot, Judge Michael D. McClurg and wife Sandy and William and Sheila McDaniel (50); Nov. 28 to Dave and Jean Buxton; Nov. 29 to Hope and Steve Gates, Ken and Debbie Liette, Judy and Terry Pepple and Miriam and Ron Poling (60); Nov. 30 to Beverly and Ron Stump, Don and Carolyn Waymire and Don and Diane Delaplane; Dec. 1 to Mike and Elaine Stump, Chester and Phyllis Pouder and Bob and Dot Anthony; and Dec. 3 to Jim and Jane Henby.
Please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers: Gerald Kenworthy, Tom Brumbaugh, Ron Moody, my dad Lee Moody (and mom Bea), Ben Bowman, Barb Skinner, Wesley Crumrine, Jim Faller, Bob Thomas, Jerry Paulus, Amber Kiser, Jody (Barga) Spitler, Carol Byrd, Delores Duncan, Jack “Papa Tiger” Amspaugh, Maxine Didier, Breanna Lundvall, Harvey Hinshaw, Judi Schneider, Carol Schuh, Tony Printz, Ann George Wehrley, Norma Byrd, Wyoneda Stephens, Angela Ridout, Cincinnati Reds Manager Dusty Baker, Doris Curtis, Ron Dirksen, Amy Fashner, Coryann Strawser, Jim Rinderle, Phyllis Pouder, Mike Walter, Kathy Walter, Stacy Caixba, D.J. Miller, Randy Fourman, Carrie Waymire Dehart, Jim Moody, Harry Moody, Marilyn Hittle, Larry Bryson, Carmen Sanders, Kathy McEowen, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Mary Thacker, Alberta Aukerman, Rick Jones of Ansonia, Curtis Miller, Gene Yohey, Tom and Marilyn Smith, Natasha Kirk, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Becky York, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Mike Custer, Karen Meier, Barbara Martin, Dana Holzapfel.
Kara Didier, Mike Rammel, Ed Widener, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Jared Marker of Fremont, Linda Manos, Tod Fink, Dorothy Rismiller, Gertie VanDePitte, Judy Henry, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Tom Henry, Tater McCollum, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Vickie Martin, Kathy Black, Jeremy Litten, Betty Grimes, Greg Eubank, Alice Broering, Peter King, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Gene Sharp, Shannon Peters Hall, JoAnne Foreman, Lester Ward, Stephanie Klingshirn, Karen Newbauer, Greg St. Myers, Paul Hodson, Rusty Edwards, Zane Wetzel, Dick Foureman, Leann Ressler, Roger Harbison, Mamie Warrick, Pauline Powell, Eddie Rhoades, Gertie Hampshire, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Don Hittle, Steve Holden, Jeff Schricker, Bill Schuette, Tim Heck and all of our military people as well as this nation.
Jamie and I extend our condolences to the following families: Robert Matthews, Lucile Kean and Margaret Bixler.
Think about it: Prior to inflation, a man felt complimented if told he looked like a million dollars.
Linda Moody is features editor for the Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com.