My son, Jamie, and I attended the tribute to Pearl Harbor at the Vets Club in Versailles on Dec. 7 and were educated about what transpired there.
If I’d paid more attention to my history lessons, I would have known that the sailors in that harbor were unaware of what was happening and thought it was just a drill as they began their day that fateful morning which was subsequently followed by two hours of bombing.
Most of us here on the homefront can’t even imagine what our soldiers/sailors have gone through and are going through on foreign soil in wartime.
We should show our deep gratitude for all who have served their country and keep them all in mind as the holiday season approaches since some won’t be able to make it home to be with family and friends.
It’s probably inconceivable, but world peace would make a nice Christmas gift for everyone everywhere.
I’m glad I attended that event.
• The next all-you-can eat fish fry at Ansonia American Legion will be Jan. 4 from 4 to 7 p.m. In addition to fish, there are two sides, roll or bread and coffee for $7 for those ages 11 and older and $3 for children 5 to 10 years of age. Children 4 and under eat for free.
• There will be a free movie night at the Ansonia United Methodist Church, West High and Pearl streets, at 7 p.m. Jan. 5. The movie to be shown is “The Jazz Singer.” Popcorn and drinks are provided for free. If there are any questions, call the church at 337-5781.
• Dec. 18 to Danny Eugene Garber, Cindi Aukerman, Janey Chrisman, Dusty Hathaway (25), Ginger Sowry, Steve Bricker and Duane Pouder.
• Dec. 19 to Carol June Baker (75), Kerry Young, Aliana Leis Clymer, Robyn Studabaker, Donna Peters, Manual Macias, Marlene McGlinch, Gary Hemmerich, Anna Myers and Jim Schaar.
• Dec. 20 to Mark Henderson, Kathy Middleton Dapore, Rick Alexander, Kevin Oliver, Millard Bowman, Joan Crissinger, Jeff Campbell, twins Emma and Ava Erwin and Heidi Linebaugh.
• Dec. 21 to Karen Baker, Dr. Carlos Menendez, Scott Kitchen, Dave Magoto (85), Richard E. Rhoades and Tricia Eby Fellers.
• Dec. 22 to Logan Joseph Moody (18), Sonnie Hartrum and David Schlechty.
• Dec. 23 to Ed Kress, Vic Yagle, Garth Knick, Martha Singleman, John Dirksen, Deanna Jones (45), Barbara Wilson, Olivia Daugherty, Arianna Caixba, Kyle Wentworth, T.J. Burden, Austin Alexander and Katie Gabbard.
• Dec. 24 to Charlie Prasuhn, Tim Heck, Jamie Husted and Rick Macias.
Happy belated birthday to Judy Francis (69 of the Darke County Humane Society) on Dec. 2; Josh Slingerland (21) on Dec. 8; Bill Bennett (58) and Chuck Miller Sr. (59), both on Dec. 11; Richard Kiser (70), Terry Richhart (58), Mitchell Shook (10) and Brooklyn Kaffenberger (12), all on Dec. 12; and Jorden Price (20) on Dec. 13.
Happy anniversary Dec. 18 to Lance and Stephanie Clack; Dec. 19 to Richard and Judy Ray; Dec. 20 to Don and Susan Moody; and Dec. 21 to Tom and June Maloy.
Happy belated anniversary to Bob and Pam Anthony on Dec. 12.
Don’t forget to pray for: Mike Walter, Tater McCollum, Jim Hiestand, Ralph Wood, Robert “Bob” Melling, Donna Temple Leugers, Pam Young, Dick George, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Angel Nicely, Bob Codling Sr., Gerald Kenworthy, Tom Brumbaugh, my parents and brother (Lee and Bea Moody and Ron Moody), Ben Bowman, Barb Skinner, Wesley Crumrine, Jim Faller Jerry Paulus, Amber Kiser, Jody (Barga) Spitler, Carol Byrd, Delores Duncan, Jack “Papa Tiger” Amspaugh, Maxine Didier, Breanna Lundvall, Harvey Hinshaw, Judi Schneider, Carol Schuh, Tony Printz, Ann George Wehrley, Norma Byrd, Wyoneda Stephens, Angela Ridout, Doris Curtis, Ron Dirksen, Amy Fashner, Coryann Strawser, Jim Rinderle, Phyllis Pouder, Kathy Walter, Stacy Caixba, D.J. Miller, Randy Fourman, Carrie Waymire Dehart, Jim Moody, Harry Moody, Marilyn Hittle, Larry Bryson, Carmen Sanders, Kathy McEowen, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Mary Thacker, Alberta Aukerman, Rick Jones of Ansonia, Curtis Miller, Gene Yohey, Tom and Marilyn Smith, Natasha Kirk, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Becky York, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Mike Custer, Karen Meier, Barbara Martin, Dana Holzapfel.
Kara Didier, Mike Rammel, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Jared Marker of Fremont, Linda Manos, Tod Fink, Dorothy Rismiller, Gertie VanDePitte, Judy Henry, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Tom Henry, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Vickie Martin, Kathy Black, Jeremy Litten, Betty Grimes, Greg Eubank, Alice Broering, Peter King, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Gene Sharp, Shannon Peters Hall, JoAnne Foreman, Lester Ward, Stephanie Klingshirn, Karen Newbauer, Greg St. Myers, Paul Hodson, Rusty Edwards, Zane Wetzel, Dick Foureman, Leann Ressler, Roger Harbison, Mamie Warrick, Pauline Powell, Eddie Rhoades, Gertie Hampshire, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Don Hittle, Steve Holden, Jeff Schricker, Bill Schuette, Tim Heck and all of our military people as well as this nation.
Jamie and I extend our condolences to the following families: Virgil Unrast, Larry Waldon, Bob Thomas, brothers Jim and Doyle Delk, John Vermilya, Don Ullery and Margaret Constable.
Think about it: Winter is the season in which people try to keep their houses as warm as they were in the summer when they complained about the heat.
Linda Moody is features editor for the Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com.