The group, called SOUL (Survivors of Unspeakable Loss) was created for suicide survivors after the Out of the Darkness Walk in September last year. The group meets once a month in Union City, Ind. The next meeting will be at 6 p.m. Feb. 21 at the Hoosier Place Community Room (old Westside School).Darla Bowman, one of the organizers, said she has made this a public forum, “because I see a need for support in our community for those other than those lost to suicide. We are a small community with not a lot of support/outreach programs, so we are changing that. This used to be the group for suicide survivors, but we have decided that you, our community, need us too. So we have opened this up to ANYONE who has suffered a traumatic loss, and just needs a place to go to ‘fit in.’ We are just a group of normal people, who miss those we love every moment of everyday. Come out and let us support you in your journey of grief…everyone has lost someone…we need to support each other!”
• The first of the Lenten fish fries at Ansonia American Legion will begin Friday from 4 to 7 p.m. It’s free to children 4 and under, $3 for children 5 to 10 years of age and $7 to all others.
• Feb. 12 to Dan Norton, Soni Smith, Kevin Schlechty, Terri Schlechty, Mary Klosterman Whittington, Kellen Amspaugh, Steven L. Anthony and Mark “The King” VanDePitte,
• Feb. 13 to Ivalou Crossley (90), Ann Palmer, Nancy Camacho and Tim Rhoades.
• Feb. 14 to Chris Young, Josh Mendenhall, Sherry Benge, Butch Amspaugh, Jeremy Mullens, Elmer Stuck, Michelle Good, Maurice Longfellow (85), Frank Thomas, Esther Heltzel, Brayden Freeman (5), Krista Stump, Mike Albright, Paul Poeppelman (30), Sharon Black and Don Drew.
• Feb. 15 to Quenton Riffell, Dick Shook and Michael Amspaugh.
• Feb. 16 to Jack Edwards, Lori Smith Riegle, Jerry Duncan, Doug Riffle, Chad Young, Edith Cool, Colleen Loxley (65), Kent Stump, Doug Riffle, Gary Garrison Linda Hartzell, Jeff Niekamp, Phyllis Miller, Nancy Studebaker, Sandy Ashby, Jeff Fulloth, Maurice Longfellow (75) and brother-in-law, Frank Thomas (88).
• Feb. 17 to Beth Royer, Paul “Jamie” Gray, Bob Campbell, Joan Trittschuh, Connie Schuette, Diane Billenstein, Sorona Verneman, Donna Peters Arnett, Michael Gessler (25), Karen Gessler, Cindy Rismiller, Darrell Fox, Stacie Sharp, Kim Knick (55), Galen Ullery, Jim Zumbrink, Gary Wynn and Karron Hoskins.
• Feb. 18 to Steve Garman, Jodi Leeper, Courtney Riegle, Tammy Leugers, Wayne Bowman, Chris Heitkamp (45) and Wyatt Gasper (16).
Happy anniversary Feb. 12 to Steve and Larissa Cunningham; Feb. 14 to Brad and Cindy Horsley, Dennis and Nina Barga, Elaine and Butch Amspaugh and Darren and Cindy Shook; Feb. 15 to John and Ruth Peters and Jim and Billie Marshall; Feb. 16 to Alan and Shirley Phillippi, Duane and Toni Edwards (45) and Mark and Dawn Dohme; Feb. 17 to Joe and Linda Schmitmeyer and Lance and Ashley Anthony; and Feb. 18 to Joel and Jennifer Harney and Larry and Julie Hall.
Don’t forget to pray for: Jim and Patsy Schneider, Barbara Caupp, Kim Holsapple, Curtis Miller, Zuri Hines, Ron Kramer, Jason Newbauer, JoRetta and Jimmy Wilkerson, Joe Floyd, Jane Braund, Al Hoschouer, Holli Anderson, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Randy McGhee, John Newbauer, Terry Black Sr., Cindy Cunningham Fleenor, Hugh Linebaugh, Krista Fourman, Charlie Hubbard, Ralph Wood, Richard “Pappy” Harshman, Larry “Rafe” Elson, Robert “Bob” Melling, Donna Temple Leugers, Bob Leugers, Pam Arnold Young, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Angel Nicely, Bob Codling Sr., Gerald Kenworthy, Tom Brumbaugh, Barb Skinner, Wesley Crumrine, Jim Faller Jerry Paulus, Amber Kiser, Jody (Barga) Spitler, Delores Duncan, Jack “Papa Tiger” Amspaugh, Judi Schneider, Carol Schuh, Tony Printz, Wyoneda Stephens, Angela Ridout, Doris Curtis of Rossburg, Ron Dirksen, Amy Fashner, Coryann Strawser, Jim Rinderle, Kathy Walter, D.J. Miller, Jim Moody, Harry Moody, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Alberta Aukerman, Rick Jones of Ansonia, Natasha Kirk, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Becky York, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Mike Custer, Karen Meier, Barbara Martin, Dana Holzapfel.
Kara Didier, Mike Rammel, Susan Dunevant, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Jared Marker of Fremont, Linda Manos, Tod Fink, Dorothy Rismiller, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Tom Henry, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Kathy Black, Jeremy Litten, Greg Eubank, Alice Broering, Peter King, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Gene Sharp, Shannon Peters Hall, Lester Ward, Stephanie Klingshirn, Paul Hodson, Zane Wetzel, Dick Foureman, Leann Ressler, Roger Harbison, Mamie Warrick, Pauline Powell, Eddie Rhoades, Gertie Hampshire, Don Hittle, Bill Schuette, Tim Heck and all of our military people as well as this nation.
Jamie and I extend our condolences to the following families: Dave Muhlenkamp and Marlene McClurg.
Think about it: A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself.
Linda Moody is features editor for the Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com.