Mother’s Day is upon us and it’s a day to honor motherhood and all mothers.
Even though it’s been said to have become commercialized, it’s meant to be day to love and honor those women who gave us birth and/or raised us.
As for me, I don’t want anything from my son, except for his love and appreciation, and I get that daily, believe me.
Our mother, Beatrice (Riffell) Moody, isn’t in the best of health right now, but she has been a strong woman over the years. She taught us a lot of things, advised us in many ways and was a model mother, I think.
The current holiday, I learned, was created by Anna Jarvis in Grafton, W.Va., in 1908. Jarvis wanted to accomplish her mother’s dream of making a celebration for all mothers, although the idea did not take off until she enlisted the services of wealthy Philadelphia merchant John Wanamaker, who celebrated it on May 8, 1910, in Bethany Temple Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, Pa., of which he was the founder. Jarvis kept promoting the holiday until President Woodrow Wilson made the day an official national holiday in 1914.
Many, many women have had to be both mother and father to their child(ren), since the father for whatever reason wasn’t there. That includes me. But, as I look back, my son and I survived, and we are close as ever, making that mother-child bond even better.
I love being my son’s mother. Happy Mother’s Day to all of you mothers out there!
• The Ansonia Community Garage Sales will be June 5-7 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. To have your sale listed on the map, a $3 fee is required, and you may list three items ONLY. Mail listing to Betty Burnfield, PO Box 758, Ansonia, Ohio 45303 or for your convenience, you can drop in an envelope marked Community Garage Sales in the water department’s drop box by May 23. Maps will be available at city building and most businesses by June 4. Any questions, contact Betty at 937-337-4883.
• May 14 to Justin Shuttleworth (35), Kathy Huecker, Keith Smith (33), Tom Buemi, Pauline Albritton, Ruth Koverman, Wanda Armold, Reganne O’Connor (12), Gavin Kelch and Dean Eby.
• May 15 to D’Arleen Waymire, Matt Klackner, Tasha Fledderjohn Anderson, Kyle Cox (25), Chuck Miller II and Gary Cothran.
• May 16 to Ethan Hemmerich, Ed Ruhe, Derick Hathaway and Jody VanHoose.
• May 17 to Margaret Grile, Helen Strosnider Eley, Kathy Stump, Deborah Sagraves, Dave Cline, Michael Appleman (62), Linda Yoder and Dick George.
• May 18 to Corinna Alexander, Chris Hershey, Bonnie Studabaker Scheidel, John Spencer, Kathy Hamilton, Nathaneal J. Rice, Audrey Archey, Kendra Earick, Zachary Brown (21), Tori Wickham (12) and Travis Shinn.
• May 19 to Janice Helms, Debbie Knight, Kathleen Sanders, Alan Rismiller, Karen Lawrence, Katie Crandall (21), Mike McCord (55), Mason Hiestand (13), Darla Ullery, Wayne Lakes Mayor Gary Young and Daniel Soward.
• May 20 to Donna Pauline Elleman, Mike Bryant, Alice Barton, Loretta Jones (Annie Oakley impersonator-67), Mary Schrader Moyers, Eileen “Dutch” Riegle (94), Dean Easterling, Tracey Hanes Richardson, Lydia Snyder, Scott Ward, Libby Price, Amber Plessinger, J.J. Hall, and Danny Gibbs.
Happy anniversary to Larry and Cheryl Peters on May 14; Jennifer (Ernst) and Dave Sturgill (10) and Carla and Adam Kunk (10), all on May 15; Harold and Eileen McKnight and Kris and Michelle Dickey, all on May 19; and Jeff and Kim Peters (25) on May 20.
Don’t forget to pray for: Gerald Greer, Brenda Baker, Mike Brown (Dan’s brother), Joe Martin, Karli Doreen Wicker, Becky Stephens Keel, Steve Schafer, D’Arleen Waymire, Ethan Flannery, Cary VanDeGrift, Tracy Bailey, Josh Riffell, Tom Brumbaugh, Katie Day, Jeff and Elllie Keaser Jack Riegle, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Bill Grimes, Johnny Young, Margaret “Peg Bundy,” Jim Erwin, Dick Shook, Emily Tuco, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., John Widener Jr., Vera Moore, Chevone Singer, Tonya Anthony, Lynn Keller, Lyla Stone, Darren Coby, Teresa Hoff Gross, my parents (Bea and Lee Moody), Joe Martin “Bud” Self, Phyllis Turner, John Brandt, Ben Bowman, Jane Landis, Kenny Chancey, Duke Gibbs, Jeff Stump, Ted Royster, Brenda Wallace, Mya Savoy, Nick Fraley, Penny Starns, Terry Springer, Leon Harshbarger, Christine Beasley, Dave Sloan, Don DeBord, Eddie Alexander, Tom Hollinger, McKayla Stachler, Mariah Williamson, Mike Monnin, Leslie Prestel, Tom Labig, Carla Gilland, Irma Stewart, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Teresa (Mayo) Hammons, Sam and Melissa Strosnider, Donnie Wintrow, Jerod Pratt, Shari Best Wappelhorst, Rena Slater, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Lucas Bryant, Dave Morrow, Shirley (Riffell) Morrow, Sandy Finkbine, Mike Martin, Barbara Caupp, Mel Grile, Terry Amstutz.
Patty Sells, Samantha Smith, Duane Mendenhall, Brien Hiestand, Deb Davidson-Smith, Ann Renfro, Jackie Coblentz Brown, Peggy Peters, Ron Nisonger, Sally Clymer Klipstine, Daniel Redmond, Etta Walker, Kristen Bercaw and son Nathan, Glen Hufford, Gertie VandePitte, Pat Johnson, Howard Hemmerly, Barbara Fisher, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Earl Moore, Linda Malott, Jim and Patsy Schneider, Curtis Miller, Ron Kramer, Holli Anderson, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Terry Black Sr., Cindy Cunningham Fleenor, Larry “Rafe” Elson, Bob Leugers, Jeff Schricker, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Angel Nicely, Bob Codling Sr., Barb Skinner, Jerry Paulus.
Amber Kiser, Wyoneda Stephens, Kathy Walter, Jim Moody, Harry Moody, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Alberta Aukerman, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Mike Custer, Karen Meier, Dana Holzapfel, Earl Curry, Kara Didier, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Dorothy Rismiller, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Jeremy Litten, Greg Eubank, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Lester Ward, Paul Hodson, Zane Wetzel, Leann Ressler, Roger Harbison, Mamie Warrick, Gertie Hampshire, Don Hittle, Bill Schuette, Tim Heck, all of our military people as well as this nation and to those who suffer from such debilitating diseases as cancer, dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Think about it: All of man’s possessions are like nothing compared to health, strength and a clear conscience.
Linda Moody is the Features Editor for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com. Viewpoints expressed in these opinion pieces are the work of the author. The Daily Advocate does not endorse these viewpoints or the independent activities of the author.