In my rush to go on vacation last week, I embarrassingly and inexcusably forgot to write about my father for Father’s Day, something I’ve done for years.
That man - Lee Jr. Moody - is one of the best fathers a child could have. He was a good worker and provider, a wonderful grandfather to the children of two of my siblings and myself, and an adorer of his great-grandchildren.
He never drank or smoked nor did he stray from the marriage [that I’m aware of], which probably accounts for his and Mom’s 67 1/2 years of wedded bliss. Like other people, he can be a little [what’s the word?] moody as he gets older, but we just have to accept it and remember how it used to be…the good old days.
His health is waning as times goes on, but his sense or humor still pops up at certain intervals, especially when we don’t expect it. And, it makes us laugh…or cry.
I hope Dad enjoyed Father’s Day, because we enjoyed spending it with him. We always will love him.
• Ansonia will be one of the hosts of Fourth of July celebration in the county, with lots of activities planned. Prior to that, however, is the Fireworks Quarter Auction to be held June 27 as a fundraiser for the celebration. It will be held at the Ansonia American Legion, 118 Mackinaw St., with doors opening at 6 p.m. and auction beginning at 7. Paddles are $2 each for three for $5. There will be a food stand with pizza, sandwiches, with all kinds of beverages.
• June 24 to Mike Kell, Ned Riegel, Brent Siders, Illah Sink, Scott Rice, Lori Cochran, John Blinn, Jay Stammen, Walter Neal, Sandra Neal, Connie Rhoades and Tony MacKenzie.
• June 25 to Twins Marion and Marvin Johnson (65), Dick Hufford (65), Alan Gessler, Seth Gessler, Katie Brown, Tommy Lee Lunsford, Keegan Weiss (9), Carrie Waymire DeHart (45) and Paul Fleenor.
• June 26 to Vicki Knick Galloway (55), Nancy McKnight, Ron Widener, Heather Mann (35) and Ron Thwaits.
• June 27 to Malinda Schmidt Linebaugh, Lori Linebaugh and Galen Wetzel (55).
• June 28 to Scott Amspaugh, Rick Lewis, Eileen Spillers Cox (51), Becky Blackburn Klipstine (65), Tyler Stump, twins Jann Peace and Jill Newman, twins Kimberly Bennett Marker and Kelly Bennett Kelch, Tracy Thwaits and Joe Miller Sr.
• June 29 to Jackie Coblentz Brown, Amber Bertke, Laurie Doyle Erwin, Larry Peters, Delphus Pease and Samantha Shook (19).
• June 30 to Polly Walls Eley, Shelly Lynn Siders, Robin Bousman, Iris Prasuhn, Joni Burelison, Dan Brown, Tara Rutschilling, Barry Rodeheffer and Joshua Deeter (30).
Happy belated birthday to: Kelsey Crandall and Mike Werts, both on June 13; June Hite and Bruce Hunt on June 14; Cindy Sink, Doug Cullers (75) and Todd Stuckey, all on June 15; Beth Simons, Pete Fullenkamp (35) and Bob Klosterman, all on June 16; Ruby Jo Walls on June 18; and Allison Reed (22) on June 19.
Happy anniversary to Dan and Jodi Neff (15) on June 24; Blain and Barbara Swabb (25), Luke and Kathy Huecker, Karen and Alan Gessler and Mr. and Mrs. Glen Murphy, all on June 25; Gary and Katie Cothran and Dave and Kathy Acton, all on June 26; to Fred and Missy Dakin on June 28; Penny (Cox) and Dale Shimomura and Bob and Lisa Mayo, all on June 29; and Buddy and Ruth Ann Riffell, Frank and Anna Lee Dawson and Terry and Barb Hess, all on June 30.
Happy belated anniversary to Bruce and Pam Hunt on June 12; Tony and Mary Ellen Kremer (45) on June 14; John and Lora Werts, T. C. and Tammy Curtis and Michelle and Larry Reed, all on June 16; and Dan and Heidi Linebaugh (10 years) on June 19.
Don’t forget to pray for: My parents (Bea and Lee Moody), John Dillon, Bob Finkbine, Leon Bey, Nellie Upchurch, Dave Rapier, Charlie Keaser, Delbert Braund, Jim Perkins, Linda Benge Burnfield, Mary Devor, Rebecca Van De Grift, Mary Hartwick, Joy Thompson, Sandy Yagle Miller, Kent Snyder, Brenda Baker, Larry Bryson, Mike Brown (Dan’s brother), Joe Martin, Karli Doreen Wicker, Becky Stephens Keel, Susan Yagle, Steve Schafer, Cary VanDeGrift, Tracy Bailey, Josh Riffell, Tom Brumbaugh, Katie Day, Jeff and Ellie Keaser Jack Riegle, Mike and Brenda Grimes, Bill Grimes, Johnny Young, Margaret “Peg Bundy,” Jim Erwin, Dick Shook, Emily Tuco, Kevin Hemmerich, Ray Dickey Jr., John Widener Jr., Chevone Singer, Tonya Anthony, Lynn Keller, Lyla Stone, Darren Coby, Teresa Hoff Gross, Joe Martin “Bud” Self, Phyllis Turner, John Brandt, Ben Bowman, Jane Landis, Kenny Chancey, Duke Gibbs, Jeff Stump, Ted Royster, Brenda Wallace, Mya Savoy, Nick Fraley, Penny Starns, Leon Harshbarger, Christine Beasley, Dave Sloan, Don DeBord, Eddie Alexander, Tom Hollinger.
McKayla Stachler, Mike Monnin, Leslie Prestel, Tom Labig, Carla Gilland, Irma Stewart, Vanna (Hannam) Abbott, Teresa (Mayo) Hammons, Sam and Melissa Strosnider, Donnie Wintrow, Jerod Pratt, Shari Best Wappelhorst, Rena Slater, Suzy Heck Schilling, Addie Henderson, Lucas Bryant, Dave Morrow, Shirley (Riffell) Morrow, Sandy Finkbine, Mike Martin, Barbara Caupp, Mel Grile, Terry Amstutz, Patty Sells, Samantha Smith, Duane Mendenhall, Brien Hiestand, Deb Davidson-Smith, Ann Renfro, Jackie Coblentz Brown, Peggy Peters, Ron Nisonger, Sally Clymer Klipstine, Daniel Redmond, Etta Walker, Glen Hufford, Gertie VandePitte, Pat Johnson, Howard Hemmerly, Barbara Fisher, Shannon Peters Hall, Todd Walls, Earl Moore, Linda Malott, Jim and Patsy Schneider, Curtis Miller, Ron Kramer, Holli Anderson, Melissa “Missy” Helmer, Terry Black Sr., Cindy Cunningham Fleenor, Bob Leugers, Jeff Schricker, Susie Gress of Nebraska, Angel Nicely, Bob Codling Sr., Barb Skinner, Jerry Paulus.
Amber Kiser, Wyoneda Stephens, Kathy Walter, Jim Moody, Harry Moody, Rob Hathaway, Mac Goodpaster, Alberta Aukerman, Chuck Davis, Dolores Nestor, Linda Lore, Rylee Blanken, Julie Widener, Deputy Dave Werling, Mike Custer, Karen Meier, Dana Holzapfel, Earl Curry, Kara Didier, Nick Voisard, Laura Harman, Joe Whittington, Dorothy Rismiller, Joe Fortkamp, Betty (Koons) Tinkham, Carla Welch, Keith Hiegel, Mike Collins, Chad Wert, Jeremy Litten, Greg Eubank, Shane Wetzel, Brandy Reier, Lester Ward, Paul Hodson, Zane Wetzel, Leann Ressler, Roger Harbison, Gertie Hampshire, Don Hittle, Bill Schuette, Tim Heck, all of our military people as well as this nation and to those who suffer from such debilitating diseases as cancer, dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Jamie and I send our condolences to the family of June Wentworth, Lawrence Larry “Rafe” Elson, Aubrey Flory, John Brumbaugh and Mary Alice Goodwin.
Think about it: Mistakes are just practice on the way to success.
Linda Moody is the Features Editor for The Daily Advocate. Her column appears every Sunday. She can be reached at email@example.com or by calling 937-548-3151, ext. 7150, or direct at work at 937-569-4315. Viewpoints expressed in these opinion pieces are the work of the author. The Daily Advocate does not endorse these viewpoints or the independent activities of the author.