ROSSBURG — Officials from SPEED SPORT Magazine and NationalSpeedSportNews.com, America’s trusted motorsports authority since 1934, announced Friday that their readers have voted Eldora Speedway as ‘My Favorite Track’ for the third consecutive year.
Located just 60 miles northwest of Dayton in historic Darke County, the half-mile clay oval, owned by three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart, garnered 19.4 percent of the vote, outdistancing Iowa’s Knoxville Raceway’s 10.6 percent share. A total of 274 tracks received votes in the online contest that boasted participation by nearly five-times more individual fans than the 2013 contest. Eldora bested Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the 2013 and 2012 voting.
“Whenever someone visits Eldora for the first time, their initial comments are about the number of campers and the size of the crowd — and they still have yet to see cars on the track,” Eldora Speedway General Manager Roger Slack said. “Our dedicated and loyal fans are as much a part of the Eldora experience as the breathtaking action on the high banks and that is why this award carries such significance to everyone here — because it is the fans who continue to vote Eldora Speedway as their favorite track in the country.”
SPEED SPORT and the National Speedway Directory will present the “My Favorite Tracks” award later this year.
The top 10
1. Eldora Speedway, Rossburg, Ohio
2. Knoxville Raceway, Knoxville, Iowa
3. Oswego Speedway, Oswego, N.Y.
4. Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
5. Salina Highbanks Speedway, Salina, Okla.
6. Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis, Ind.
7. Williams Grove Speedway, Mechanicsburg, Pa.
8. Kokomo Speedway, Kokomo, Ind.
9. Tri-State Speedway, Haubstadt, Ind.
10. Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, Bowmanville, Ontario